Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Good Neighbors

 by Cheryl Merrick

We knew that our new neighbors
needed to get to know each other,
But what could we do?

Health problems kept me from entering
homes, church, and stores.
Sudden exhaustion could leave me
unable to stand or even form a coherent sentence.
Besides, my husband and I are both very quiet people
who just don’t do socials.
How could we possibly give a social at our home
for fifty of our neighbors?

Weighing my limitations against their needs,
I took a leap of faith.
I frankly told everyone of my limitations 
and asked for their help,
Then, knowing that if it was right it would work out,
I began planning.

The night of the social
I feared that no one would come.
It was so simple. Would it do?
Worrying, I anxiously gazed at our yard 
full of weeds (neatly mowed).
There were a few pumpkins waiting to be placed on tables,
and an empty expanse of concrete.
How could my husband alone possibly 
get this ready for a social in just two hours?

Then help began coming: 
a man helped carry out tables,
a grill was pushed down the street to our home,
a table and chairs were brought,
salads, chips, vegies, and deserts 
joined the hamburgers and hot dogs
a neighbor family grilled for everyone.

As I watched people visiting together, 
I realized that the social’s success
was not dependent on my ability
to prepare a lovely yard,
fix delicious food,
arrange and decorate,
or even on my being an effervescent hostess. 
It was dependent on them; 
  on their reaching out;
and their desire to be
  Good Neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment