Thursday, October 9, 2014

Fantasy Princes

by Cheryl Merrick

Once I dreamed of days
filled with intimate talks 
and tender embraces.
Where my husband’s completely understood me
 and his total focus
was on me and my needs.


Soon I realized that only in Fairy Tales
do Princes have nothing better to do
than gaze lovingly into
their Princes’s’‘ eyes

In reality do I really want 
       someone staring at me for hours?
What do you say after a while?
Do I really want to be together
      every minute?

Isn’t real life more exciting
with its challenges to solve,
work to be done, children to raise,
and the struggle to develop a good relationship?

Would I appreciate our strong marriage
      if we hadn’t had to work so hard for it?
Would I be as happy if I didn’t feel he needed me?
Hasn’t it been the struggles that have 
     bound us together?

Don’t I want more than just having someone love me,
     but someone I can love?
Do I really want a Fantasy Prince?

No comments:

Post a Comment