Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Different Ways to Say I Love You

by Cheryl Merrick

Mom, a creator of beauty, sewed me a closet of dresses
Dad, an active person,took us on hikes

Mom made birthday cakes--doll in the middle, and cake her dress
Dad lead the party games–skunk tag and statues

Mom kept our home clean and orderly
Dad taught us to “scrub down” before eating

Mom cooked good healthy meals
Dad played the ukelele and drums and sang to us


Mom planned work projects
Dad made sure there was time to play

Mom volunteered to be an assistant leader so I could be a Brownie Scout
Dad was a Boy Scout leader for many years for my brother

Mom, wanting to “get out and see something new”, planned long Sunday drives
Dad, understanding our need to move, took us exploring

Mom taught me to cook and to sew
Dad to dance and swim

Mom nurtured a close sense of family
Dad encouraged us to enjoy the world

Mom provided order and routine 
Dad excitement and variety

Mom took me shopping
Dad to his lab

Mom taught me to prune roses 
Dad how to use a microscope

Mom took us to the library and showed a love of reading
Dad read cartoons with all the voices & shared books of poems 

Mom taught me how to choose fruits and vegies
Dad to make neat beds with hospital corners 

Mom taught me how to care for animals
Dad to drive a stick shift car

Mom shared her love of nature
Dad his love of people

Mom taught me how to care for a home
Dad to sail a small sailboat

Mom helped me decorate my room
Dad helped me with school work

Mom made delicious picnics 
Dad lead exciting activities

Mom showed me how to curl hair
Dad how to slide down a steep slope

Mom researched what appliance to buy
Dad worked on his college degree

Mom came to all our events
Dad took movies of things we did & sent letters

Mom shared her love of gardening & crafts
Dad his love of music & sports

Mom made holidays special family moments- tree decorating
Dad sought to include others in our activities- caroling

Both provided financial & emotional security and taught us skills and values
Both loved us, listened to our concerns, and encouraged our talents and interests 

No comments:

Post a Comment