Sunday, September 28, 2014

Restriction or Opportunity?

by Cheryl Merrick
(dealing with my many restrictions due to having Addison's disease)

Yes, I must not do many things,
but are they things I really want to do?
Would I give up all the fresh flavors of fruits and vegies
for sugary, greasy, chemically laden foods?
Could I actually feel safe eating food that even bugs won’t eat?
Would I trade the soft, casual comfort of my cotton clothes
for the hot, scratchiness of synthetic fibers?
Don’t I enjoy the cleanliness and order of my simple home?

Do I really want to spend my life caring for dust catchers,
and shopping for things I don’t need?
Would I enjoy days of polishing furniture and cleaning carpets?
Do I sincerely want to pollute my home with dozens
of noxious cleaning chemicals, or overwhelming fragrances?
Could I give my children poisoned food,
or allow them to play on sprayed grass?
Can I see myself contentedly spending hours
as the caretaker of flower beds; patiently pulling weeds?
Would I try to hide my real self
under hair color and smothering makeup?
Do I genuinely want the option of vainly trying
to solve all problems with a pill?
Could I happily spend our time and resources
in the unproductive pursuit of new scenes and experiences?
Would I truly find fulfillment if I devoted my energies to
busily rushing to stores, appointments, and meetings?
Could I feel content living a life based on
current consensus instead of principles?
Could I grow without moments to study and reflect?
How happy would I be without time to visit, teach, write,
or enjoy the morning sunlight.
Am I willing to give up my peaceful solitude
for a life of mindless movement?
Are my restrictions but opportunity in disguise?

No comments:

Post a Comment