Sunday, September 28, 2014

Burdens

by Cheryl Merrick

“How can I endure more,” she sobs.
“Haven’t I been tried enough?!”
“How can I get through another day?”
Days of poor health, aging, grown children’s problems,
     an invalid mother’s care, and earning a living
     stretch endlessly before her.


Absorbed in the grayness of self,

     she endures life waiting for release.
Longing for a life without responsibilities,
     she misses the joy of being needed.
Longing for a life without problems,
     she misses the joy of growth.
Longing to avoid heartache,
     she misses the joy of having a loving heart.

“My burdens are more than I can bear!”she cries.

Penetrating her tearful prayers,
     a voice whispers,
     “Peace I give unto you,”
And reassures,
     “Cast your burdens upon Me
      and I will make them light.”

No comments:

Post a Comment