Wednesday, September 17, 2014

First Child

by Cheryl Merrick

Arrival

Excited and nervous
     we await your arrival.
Will we be good parents?
How do you take care of a baby?
I’ve never even held one before.
We attend classes.
I make maternity and baby clothes.
Your father sands and paints the crib yellow.
Small clothes are washed and diapers are ready,
     but are we ready?


As the due date approaches,
     your father becomes more excited.
I am fearful that he will be working or at school
     when you decide to come,
But you choose a calm Sunday morning
     to announce your impending arrival.

The day wears long,
and far harder than I had imagined,
     til at midnight,
there you are;
     dark hair wet,
     quietly blinking in the soft light.
And I, at last, hold you snug in my arms,
     my first child.

First Year

I can’t take my eyes off you.
You are so amazing!
I watch you all through church.

I worry that you will be all right at night,
     and when it’s morning,
     I rush in to see you.

I wonder what I am doing wrong,
     for you cry so much.
We grin when you pull your hair,
     and feel joy at your smiles.

Everything you do is a marvel!
We see your keen mind
     working out how to make sounds,
     roll over, grab, sit up,
     crawl, stand, and walk.

We see life now through your new eyes,
     rejoicing in all the sounds, sights,
     tastes, and interesting textures around us.

You grow so quickly,
   and, as each day passes,
We know we have never loved anyone
   As much before.

No comments:

Post a Comment