Thursday, December 14, 2017

Back into the Snake Pit

by Cheryl Merrick

*Though grateful to be able to still
             take a deep breath
             care for myself
             and walk around a little,
I cringe as I sink back into
             the snake pit,
             as my old life envelops me.
Once again I am in its clutches
            suffering as it squeezes the breath out of me,
            leaving me dull and dazed,
            with my head reeling in pain,
            my body exhausted,
            my mind muddled,
            and my spirit depressed.

In the pit I huddle,
            helpless and imprisoned,
            confined, once again, to my home,
            my independence dissolving
            as I am left a blankly staring lump.

*October 2016 I collapsed back into adrenal exhaustion after months of moving stress, the stress of trying to sell our old home, and the physical stress of falling on my face on cement


No comments:

Post a Comment