Thursday, December 14, 2017

Impressed

by Cheryl Merrick

When we met at college

I noted as you unselfishly
enabled the women on your co-ed
volleyball team to score.
You stood out from the other men 
who grabbed and pushed
as they sought to show off
their prowess.

I watched when you shared your car and skills

by giving people rides to the city
and by teaching a genealogy class.
So when you asked me out,
I enthusiastically said, "Yes!"


That night, you patiently stood by me

as I fulfilled my responsibilities 
as one of the chairpeople 
for the formal Gold and Green Ball.
I was impressed that you neither
moped or took charge,
but were cheerfully there,
ready to help if asked. 

As our days of dating continued,

I sensed that you were a person
who would be there for me,
and who would work with me
to build an eternal family.

Impressed by your strong determination

to do what you knew was right,
I had the assurance 
that you were a person 
I could always trust and respect,
and I was right.*


*written on my husband's 71st birthday after 45 years of marriage


No comments:

Post a Comment