Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Not Alone

 by Cheryl Merrick
Silence hangs over my home
like a crushing weight
pressing in upon me.

Fighting the quiet,
I try to fill it with my words
as I remember all our
pleasant conversations,
but my speech only echos 
off the hard stillness. 

There is an emptiness
that can be felt
which intensifies
as the evening falls.

In the darkness,
I now startle at "strange" sounds.
Reprimanding my imagination,
I long for the comfort and security
your presence once gave me.

In these moments,
I struggle to remind myself 
that our covenants bind me, 
not only to you,
but to God 
for all eternity. 

Though you have stepped 
first through the veil,
I am not alone
for the Lord is with me each moment,
sustaining me,
and giving me the strength
to continue on. 


No comments:

Post a Comment