Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Time to Be Myself

by Cheryl Merrick

Over and over again,
I push myself
to meet the needs
of those around me.

Each day, the struggle
to be what I'm not
weighs on me,
til tired and grouchy,
I finally collapse 
into an exhausted heap.

The love and support
I've bestowed on family and friends
becomes just a memory
as I withdraw into myself to recharge
before my light extinguishes,
and it is only after days of healing,
that I am able to reach out again.

It is time for me
to accept my limitations.
Though my love for others
knows no bounds,
my time and energy
has very finite limits. 

Though my heart wants to give 
all my strength and talents
to help others,
my body can not do it.

I'm quickly overwhelmed 
by the noise and busyness
of socials.
Fatigue envelops me 
as I am buffeted by  
by the needs I sense
in the people around me.

How can I be cheerful
when a cacophony
of sounds assaults my ears,
my head throbbingly aches, 
my stomach becomes queasy, 
and the room reels around me?

Longing for more than
superficial "chit chat",
I crave quiet moments
alone with one person
where we can connect
on a deep level
sharing our hopes and fears, 
our challenges, and joys 
-- our souls.

I long to hold up 
my vision
and hope to light other's paths. 
I desire to share my experiences 
hoping that they will inspire others.

After my short forays 
into the "real" world,
I must step back and ponder 
all I've received, all I've felt,
til my heart understands.

I must also ask myself 
hard questions. 
Can I meet the needs 
of many people at once?
Can I survive long
in busy, noisy environments?
Can I supply 
the enthusiasm and company 
an outgoing person needs?

Knowing the answers, 
it becomes evident 
that it is time to accept
who I am and nurture
my sensitive, quiet nature.

It is time to be myself, 
a person who,
with quiet intentness,
shares her soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment