Saturday, March 28, 2015

Pictures of a Marriage

by Cheryl Merrick
Young and beautiful,
     though I didn’t appreciate it then,
I see myself leaning on
     my youthful husband’s shoulder
as, together, 
     we bravely face the unknown.

Smiling I muse,
     the challenges 
     of thirty two years ago
     now seem so simple.


One picture reminds me of how
     little money we had,
     and of our resourcefulness,
as I see the Christmas decorations
     I made from egg cartons. 

Another picture sets me thinking
     of my days spent
     attempting to make
     our ten foot wide trailer 
     into a home,
and of my loneliness
     as I waited my husband’s return
     from work and school.

There we are
     lost in each other,
and lost in sharing the quiet joy
     of expecting our first child.

In my heart
     I see other pictures
     of a young couple
awkwardly struggling to communicate
     and wondering if unity would ever come.

Picture by picture,
     I see a new relationship
slowly developing.

No comments:

Post a Comment