Monday, August 6, 2018

The Enabler Revolts!

by Cheryl Merrick
I've had enough of "guilt trips"
  being used to control me. 

I'm tired of being told

  that if I don't meet everyone's needs,
  I'm a bad person.

I'm had enough of being told that 

  only evil, selfish people
  wouldn't want to live 
  just to make others "happy". 




I'm tired of being manipulated

  into giving up my right
  to manage my own life. 

I've had it with having 

  to take responsibility
  for others' actions.

I'm no longer accepting

  that I'm so deficient, 
  inept, and "bad"
  that I don't deserve 
  to control my own life. 

I won't feel guilt

  because I "selfishly"
  won't allow myself 
  to be controlled by others.

I'm tired of letting

  myself be used
  just so another person 
  doesn't have to risk growing.

I'm tired of being pressured

  to completely surrender
  my will to another.

I've had it with being told

  it is selfish
  to care for myself. 

No longer will I accept

  that love is protecting
  another from life.

I've grown tired of my love

  being used as a chain
  to enslave me.

I'm weary of the constant vigilance

  required to detect 
  another's unspoken desires,
  then having to rush to meet them.

I'm tired of taking the abuse

  of constant critism
  and always being belittled.

I'm tired of a standard

  where a daughter
  is expected to always accede
  to her mother's "superior" wisdom.  

I'm exhausted with having

  to suppress my personality,
  opinions, talents, and competencies.

I'm tired of having to appear

  less than I am
  just so I won't intimidate
  a person who refuses to grow. 

I'm tired of having 

  every mistake another makes
  publicly blamed on me. 

I will no longer be dismissed

  as "only a child"
  when I am old enough
  to be a great-grandmother.

I no longer will be treated

  as if I was too incompetent
  to even care for myself.

I've had it with being told that

  the matriarch has the "right"
  to control the lives and 
  hard-earned resources
  of everyone in the family.

Nor do I believe she is entitled

  to a lifestyle superior to that 
  of any other family member.

I don't believe that it is the family's

  "duty" to give her 
  everything she desires. 

I don't accept that her demands

  are "fair" because, someday,
  I'll be the matriarch
  and have the "right"
  to abuse my children.

I do not believe that 

  the loneliness of a woman,
  who refuses to make friends,
  is justification for my abandoning
  my own husband, children, 
  and grandchildren.

I will not accept that another

  knows better than I
  what I need and want. 

I won't allow my faith

  to be used as a weapon
  to beat me into submission
  to her will.

I'm fed up with being told

  how "noble"  and "good" 
  it is to "sacrifice" 
  my happiness for her wants. 

I don't believe that a "loving person"

  never even mentions her needs,
  and constantly agrees with others.

I'm tired of being shamed

  if I question the matriarch's
  "evidence", goals, or wants. 

I'm tired of having my data

  dismissed because
  my memory is "faulty". 

I want to no longer merely exist

  to enable another 
  to hide from life. 

I will live my own life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment