Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Making a Choice

by Cheryl Merrick
The decision is logical.
Like using your "other" hand,
using your weakest ability
quickly generates stress.

I know this well
for I have frequently suppressed
my strongest ability.
Fearing social disapproval
and not wanting to disappoint those I love,  
rather than developing the talents God has given me,
I chose instead do what others expected of me. 
Of course, it doesn't take long 
before I collapse in exhaustion. 


After withdrawing for months, 
I begin to recover.
Finally, lonely and longing to help people,
I reenter the world,
where I again push myself 
trying to fulfill everyone's expectations,
till I mercifully collapse. 

Seeing the consequences of this negative cycle;
pain, illness, loneliness, grouchiness, impatience, 
and in the long term, a shortened life,
undeveloped talents, and thwarted eternal potential--
I know I have a serious choice to make.

It is time to give up my pride and allow others to help me.
It is time to give up living an inferior life,
using my weaknesses instead of my strengths. 
It is time to quit feeling rejected for being me
when I am the one who is suppressing who really I am.  
It is time to quit trying to meet society's expectations
and choose to use the talents I've been given.
It is time to choose to become the person 
I am meant to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment