Friday, February 26, 2021

Gazing at Old Photos

by Cheryl Merrick
Seeing my younger self,
I remember when life
stretched endlessly before me
so full of possibilities. 
Filled with sparkling optimism,
I faced forward gazing
into the vastness of my future.

Now, fifty years have passed.
With knowing eyes,
I look back at my younger self
and smile. 
The years have been good,
but far harder than
I ever could have imagined.  
In these years, 
full of heartaches and joys,
my faith has been tested,
my talents honed,
and my love has grown.

With hope I still look forward,
but with an awareness that 
my time here is no longer "endless",
and wonder what more I can do.
Is there someone I can help?
Are there things I yet need to do?

So many I've known are gone now -
grandparents, uncles and aunts,
cousins, parents, and brothers.
There is an emptiness in my life
that they once filled.
I'll continue longing for them
until I join them on the other side
where eternity will truly 
stretch before me
full of sparkling possibilities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment