Saturday, January 5, 2019

Comparing Apples to Oranges

by Cheryl Merrick
As the oranges declare
that having a thick skin
is the most practical way to be,
I despair aware of my own thin skin.

The bounce competition was a nightmare.
Not only did it not make me juicer,
but instead left me badly bruised.

The list of my "failures" goes on.
I could not split into 
individually contained segments.
Squeezing me by hand did not produce
a refreshing cup of juice,
but a mushy pulp, and
I didn't do well in the Tangy Taste Test.

Wallowing in my perceived "deficiencies", 
I suddenly realized that I had forgotten
my wonderful crispness, delicate flavor,
pie making ability, neatness, edible skin, 
and my gift for gently reminding people
of the scent of roses; of beauty and poetry.

Yes, I am a complete failure 
as a busy, practical orange,
being at heart a romantic Apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment