Friday, April 1, 2011

Why I became a Mormon

by Cheryl Merrick

When I was eighteen and living close to Berkeley, California, I was looking for some teachings to guide my life. I wanted a happier life than I'd seen in my family.  I looked into all sorts of religions, even Far Eastern.  Nothing felt right and many of the things they said didn't seem just; such as if you were a little bit better you went to heaven or a little bit worse and you went to hell. About this time I met a nice girl in a high school summer class, and we became friends. I was very impressed with the love I saw in her family. I had never seen anything like it before. I began to ask her questions, and she suggested I talk to some missionaries. As I read the Book of Mormon, so many questions I had were answered. Ideas just rang true. They felt like things I had always known, but had forgotten. Finally, two years and many, many questions later (I  had to be sure for I knew this was the biggest decision I would make in my life), I finally joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. My parents weren’t very happy with my decision, but I was.  Through the years, these true principles have helped me to build a happy marriage and a strong family, and to see my health problems as opportunities to grow. I have never regretted my decision one moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment