Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Saying Goodbye- For Now

(Death of a Parent)
by Cheryl Merrick

How can I say goodbye?
This is too soon.
I'm not ready to live
without you.
How can I go on
without your support?

You, who have unfailingly been there
loving and supporting me,
have left an emptiness in my life
where you have always been.

When I look into the mirror,
how can I not be filled with 
reminiscences of you?
How can I not see reflected 
the heritage you have given me?


You, who have helped shape my character,
have become a part of who I am.
I carry you with me always and 
see you in the way I do things and
in the love I share with those around me.
Yes, we will always be a part of each other.

Though you have gone on to be 
with family who has preceded you 
leaving me here to carry on the work 
that you began long ago,
I still feel your presence.

In those quiet moments 
I know that,
though we are on 
different sides of the veil,
we will always be 
connected through eternity.

Struggling, 
with accepting that I must 
wait to be with you again,
my aching heart
finally gathers the courage to
say, "Goodbye- for now".



No comments:

Post a Comment