Saturday, December 22, 2018

The Enigma

by Cheryl Merrick

Some step back from me
     fearfully keeping a "safe" distance
     from such a "mysterious" person.

Some find me amusingly eccentric,

     while others see my unconventional ways
     as aberrations which need correcting.


Some find me puzzling,

 a person who is hard to get to know,
and others find me so empathic 
that they confide to me all their woes. 

To others I am a paradox.

How can I be so understanding,
yet so hard-nosed about principles?

Some view me as warm and loving,

and others as aloof and withdrawn.

Some wonder if I am "just being difficult",

and others wonder if I "can be for real".

Some see me as amazingly wise and seek my counsel,

while others see me as hopelessly inept in dealing with life.

Some think I am creative and receptive to new ideas,
while others think I am "bossy" and close minded. 

Some are amazed at all I do,

but others think I do nothing. 

Some see me as a determined woman 
who gets things done,
while others see me as a weak child
who needs to be taken care of.

To some I am unrealistic,

to others I am an inspiration.

I smile. What can I say?

Seeing only what they can understand,
they are like the blind men and the elephant,
they are all partly right--
but all are completely wrong.



No comments:

Post a Comment