Friday, January 20, 2017

We're Home!

by Cheryl Merrick

Everything is strange.
I don't even recognize the trees or birds.
Who lives in the houses around us?
Where are the stores and parks?

Having trouble sleeping,
I open my eyes at night
and gaze apprehensively
into the dark cavernous living room.

I feel lost and so alone.
This new house doesn't feel like "Home",
but our old house doesn't either.


Overwhelmed, I stare
at the small mountain of boxes,
wondering which one holds my underwear
and which one my dish washing detergent.

Finally, with an excited determination,
I tackle the boxes,
opening each and finding places for our things.

As the days pass and
 the mound of boxes shrinks,
there comes a day when
I look around and sigh--
"We're Home!"

(my feelings about moving after living in our old home for 40 years)




No comments:

Post a Comment