Saturday, February 12, 2022

Rewriting My Life- a Year with Cancer


by Cheryl Merrick
Promising what was not mine to give,
I assured my preschool granddaughter
that I would be at her wedding someday,
till on my seventy first birthday,
I learned that I had cancer.

As I was given just three months to live,
all my dreams of spending the next
twenty years with my family,
dissolved as my tears washed away
my "script" for my life,
preparing me for a new and better "script".


When my granddaughter drew pictures for me
sharing her anticipated life,
and as I saw the sorrow in my husband's eyes,
I was filled with longing to be with my family,
and I cried some more.

My mortality hit hard as I remembered 
my four cousins who had died recently,
my uncle, brother-in-law, and step-father 
who had died the year previous,
and my brother who had died
just four months before.

Then, drying my tears and 
putting my trust in God's assurance
that I was being given a chance to heal,
I began to work.

I had four chemo treatments,
which though it put me into 
anaphylactic shock three times,
made my hair fall out, 
and made me nauseous and tired,
it also stopped the painful ascites swelling, 
and killed most of the cancer cells
with the remaining cancerous tumors 
being removed during my hysterectomy surgery.

Now, though my cancer is in remission,
I must take medication 
to keep the cancer from returning,
which, since I have the BRCA2 gene mutation,
my body is unable to do.

As my "script" has been rewritten,
I feel grateful for all the miracles 
I've experienced as my body has healed,
but even more for the healing
of my heart and family relationships.

Though more difficult, dramatic, and perhaps shorter,
than my comfortable planned "script" for my life,
this last year has taught me to trust my "Author" 
to make my story truly great.


No comments:

Post a Comment